Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Time Drainers

Do you get the idea that some people are champion whingers??? There is this woman at school who is not even my coursemate but because she hangs out with some of my coursemates, I am stuck to socialize with her over breaks. She has a lot to complain about from classes being offered on the wrong days (the "right day" being just Wednesdays), to having to drive from Ayer Keroh to Serdang, to her boss, to not getting time-off to pursue her masters from her place of work, to her kid not being looked after properly by her babysitter (mind you, when I first met this woman, I thought she had a very young baby only to discover later that this is a 9 year old boy!!!) and as you can imagine, the list goes on and on and on...

Such people are emotionally draining to talk to because they really don't want to take any of your suggestions on board. They just wanna whinge!!! I got to the point that I just gave up on offering solutions when I realised that solutions were not what she was seeking. This was one person who was happy being unhappy! She makes having one 9-year old son sound like having a 9 month old baby! Last week she was whinging about her boss (why am I not surprised???).

As far as I am concerned, we make conscious choices. We decide what to do, when to do them and where we want to be. Whinging is just draining not only to yourself but also to the people that you whinge to. Yes, nobody said that going to school part-time while having a full-time job is easy but it is a conscious choice that you make. Nobody is asking you to do it if you don't want to. Stop whinging and start doing something positive to make matters better!

No comments: